Frequently Asked Bankruptcy Questions (FAQ)
The following groups of bankruptcy questions are listed in order of their popularity on this site. Questions are listed in order of popularity within groups. Questions marked with a rank in our top 20.
If you’d like to speak with an expert, you can contact a Licensed Insolvency Trustee in your area for a free consultation and a prompt personal answer.
- How Long Will I Be Bankrupt in Canada?
- How much will it cost to go bankrupt in Canada?
- Does Filing for Bankruptcy in Canada Affect My Spouse?
- What is a Consumer Proposal?
- I'm considering Separation or Divorce. What do I need to know?
- What happens to my debts when I go bankrupt in Canada?
- What will I have to do during my bankruptcy?
- Can I Include My Tax Debts in Bankruptcy?
- What is personal bankruptcy all about?
- I owe a lot of income taxes to Canada Revenue Agency. What can I do?
- What happens to student loans if I go bankrupt?
- What is Surplus Income?
- What happens when I go bankrupt in Canada?
- What are the steps in filing bankruptcy?
- What Income Is Surplus Income If I Go Bankrupt?
- Explain the concepts of bankruptcy in Canada.
What can I Keep, and What will I Lose, if I go Bankrupt in Canada?
- What Happens To My House When I File Bankruptcy?
- What can I keep if I go bankrupt in Canada?
- Can I Keep My Bank Account If I File Bankruptcy?
- Can I Keep a Leased Car if I go Bankrupt?
- RRSP in Bankruptcy: Will I Lose My RRSP If I File for Bankruptcy?
- What are the bankruptcy exemptions in my province?
After my bankruptcy is finished
- How long does bankruptcy stay on my credit report in Canada?
- How can I get my life back to normal after bankruptcy?
- How can I get a secured credit card?
- How can I rebuild my credit after my bankruptcy in Canada is done?
- Can I make my mortgage renewal after bankruptcy?
- How can I repair my credit after my bankruptcy in Canada is done?
- How can I get a copy of my credit report?
How can I get More Answers?
- Show me answers to other people’s questions.
- Can I speak to someone about my financial situation?
- How can I get an evaluation of my financial situation?
- Can I ask an anonymous question?
- Are there ways to tell if I am in financial danger in Canada?
Licensed Insolvency Trustees
- What is a Licensed Insolvency Trustee? When might I need one?
- What can I expect from my initial (free) consultation with a Trustee?
- What questions should I ask my trustee before filing for bankruptcy?
- How do I know I am getting good advice from a trustee?
- How do I choose a Licensed Insolvency Trustee?
- Why is the designation "Bankruptcy Trustee" changing to "Licensed Insolvency Trustee"?
More about bankruptcy
- Should I Feel Guilty If I Go Bankrupt?
- I heard they are changing the bankruptcy rules. What’s going on?
- What bankruptcy records are kept in Canada? Who will know about my bankruptcy?
- What is Chapter 7? Chapter 13?
- How many people go bankrupt?
- What are the laws for bankruptcy in Canada?
- What Are the Causes of Bankruptcy in Canada?
- Tell me about bankruptcies in Canada.
- What bankruptcy-related words are often misspelled?
I Don’t Want to Go Bankrupt – What are my Bankruptcy Alternatives? How do I Choose?
- I can't pay my bills, what do I do now?
- What's the minimum amount of debt required when filing bankruptcy in Canada?
- Why should I choose a consumer proposal over bankruptcy?
- What is Orderly Payment of Debts? Can I try it?
- What happens if I file a second time for bankruptcy in Canada?
- Is filing bankruptcy after retirement a good choice for seniors?
- Should I File a Consumer Proposal or Opt for a Debt Management Plan?
- Why Is It Important to Prepare a Personal Budget Before Filing Bankruptcy?
- What Bankruptcy Alternatives Are Available to Me?
Those Collection Agents and Creditors are after me!
- Will I go to jail for not paying back my debts?
- Can a collection agency take me to court? Can I be sued for not paying back my debts?
- How do I stop collection agencies from calling me?
- Can a Collection Agency Take My Furniture?
- How can I stop a garnishment on my wages?
- Once I file for bankruptcy or proposal, when will creditors stop calling?
- Dealing with Collection Agents: The Process
More about alternatives to bankruptcy
- Can I avoid bankruptcy by filing a proposal to creditors?
- Could a debt consolidation loan help me?
- Are consumer proposals often refused?
- What's the consumer proposal debt limit?
- Could a debt management plan help me?
- What should I do If I cannot afford payments agreed upon in a proposal?
Debt and Money Problems
For more information please e-mail a bankruptcy question to our team.