Browse or Search our Anonymous Q & A
Do you have a bankruptcy or debt question?
- Read our Frequently Asked Questions.
- Contact a Licensed Insolvency Trustee in your area now with your question, and receive a personalized answer.
- Choose a blog category to read questions from other readers, and answers from our trustees:
- You can also submit your own anonymous question. One question is selected each day for our experts to answer. To guarantee an answer to your question, please e-mail a trustee in your area.
For bankruptcy questions and related topics, trust the experts at Bankruptcy Canada!
Most Recent Posts
- How to Stop Wage Garnishment in CanadaWage garnishment can be devastating. You’re already paying overwhelming debts and then suddenly your paycheck is smaller and you’ve got to cope with less money and mounting bills. So how can you stop wage garnishment in Canada? There are a number of resources available to you if your wages are being garnished and several ways […]
- Looming Insolvency Crisis: 1.3 Million Canadians On The Verge Of Bankruptcy (& How To Avoid It)The number of Bankruptcies and Insolvencies will depend on the new normal and how long we take to get there. Our only defence, so far, has been to stay home, social distance, and for all but essential workplaces, to close. Historically, bankruptcies and insolvencies in Canada approximate 120,000 – 125,000 cases each year. The big […]
- Consumer’s Guide to Credit Card FraudAlthough it’s not common, one of the things that can cause people to file bankruptcy or a consumer proposal is if they’ve been the victim of credit card fraud. Here are some things you can do to protect yourself. One of the most common ways that people fall victim to credit card fraud is simply […]
- Can I file for bankruptcy while on Long Term Disability?I am on disability. A couple of months ago I received a letter from Long Term Disability (LTD) to pay them back around $ 50,000.00. I am not able to pay this amount. I asked many different financial institutions to get a loan. But my request was declined everywhere because I can’t work anymore. Can […]
- Considering bankruptcy: minimum debt amount and income calculationLooking to claim bankruptcy. However, I am now unemployed with no income coming in. My spouse is supporting the household. Is his income considered my income if I file? The debt is all my own, none of it is joint with my spouse. However, the amount is less than ten thousand – is there a […]
- What happens to money received after a bankruptcy or consumer proposal?If I were to file for bankruptcy, or a consumer proposal, in Quebec, and after a year or two I won a substantial amount of money, what would happen to these funds in a court case? Can I receive it without anyone being able to touch it? The money would be paid to me from […]
- How Does Consumer Proposal Affect Families?Families, like individuals and couples, have a wide range of expenses that draw on their financial resources. But for families with children, expenses are often larger and more varied than anticipated. Kids Can Be Expensive! Children are the proverbial “wild cards” when it comes to family spending. Parents are motivated to provide well for their […]
- Power of Attorney and financial liabilityI have Power of Attorney for a relative who recently entered a rehab facility for some years due to severe addiction. There are bank debts and credit card debt. Is it acceptable to negotiate with these debtors to pay a percentage of the debt rather than the full amount? With whom in the TD bank […]
- Income property and Consumer ProposalI have a question regarding a rental property and appliances inside it. If I were to file a consumer proposal and let the bank take back, my income property am I entitled to remove the machines before giving the property back? We are just curious because we’ve replaced almost everything in the last year and […]
- Bankruptcy on mortgage with an ex spouse.My ex. left me three years ago, and I have been paying the mortgage on my own, and he won’t resign the mortgage. I can’t pay the mortgage as it is a high-interest rollover and if I go bankrupt am I liable for any debt if he sold the house or goes bankrupt himself. We […]