Student Loans after discharge

May 21st, 2008 by Questions

I had to declare bankruptcy two years ago due to divorce. I was discharged in April 2007. I started to repay my student loans with the CIBC National Student Loan Centre and thought I was back on track, when I received letters from CRA, HRDC and a collection agency saying I owed them more. From there, I found out my Student Loan was split and half was sent to the government for them to collect when I had gone through bankruptcy. So now they`re saying I have to make payments 4 times the amount I had been paying, which I can`t afford at all. My 10 year post-study period ends in June. How can I complete the process to have the court order my student loans discharged as well? I`m a single mom with two children and my income has not changed since bankruptcy, but I had saved enough to get $6000.00 in RRSP to increase my tax return. Will the court take that?

Posted from: British Columbia


One Response to “Student Loans after discharge”

, Barton Goth - Goth & Company Inc. - Bankruptcy Trustees said:

You can always contact a trustee or lawyer after the 10 year mark has expired and have them make an application to court to have these student loans discharged. However it is difficult to say whether the court will do this or not as it is looked at on a case by case basis.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)