Free Consultation

I filed bankruptcy 6 years ago but did not finish it

I filed six years ago and did not finish. In 2012, I received a letter from trustee saying they were discharged from my bankruptcy? What should I do now?

One Response to “I filed bankruptcy 6 years ago but did not finish it”

Doug Stuive, CA | Trustee | CIRP said...

As an undischarged bankrupt you no longer have protection from your creditors and collection activity can resume at any time if it hasn’t already. It is a good idea to take action to finish the various duties that are required of you in order to receive your discharge, which will once again eliminate the debt that formed part of your assignment in bankruptcy. If your trustee is still operating they would be your first point of contact. Though they may charge a fee to retrieve your file from storage or to reopen the file, they are the best contact to determine exactly what you need to do to complete your file. Even though the trustee is discharged from your file they can still reopen the matter and help you obtain a discharge from bankruptcy.

If your trustee is no longer operating you can contact the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy to obtain a copy of your bankruptcy file. This is the government office that licenses trustees and the key documents produced during the administration of your bankruptcy estate are filed with this government agency. Once you have a copy of your file you can seek the assistance of any bankruptcy trustee or you may obtain legal counsel to help you determine what needs to be done to receive your discharge from bankruptcy. No matter which option you choose you can expect to pay a fee for their time and effort in obtaining your discharge from bankruptcy.