Money owed to a US hospital

October 6th, 2015 by Questions

Awhile back I had to be hospitalised in the USA while on vacation. My travel insurance has refused to pay for my claim and now I am on the hook for the whole amount to the USA hospital. If I go bankrupt in Canada would it include the amount I owe in the USA?


One Response to “Money owed to a US hospital”

, Desmond West-Chow, CIRP, Trustee said:

The actions of the hospital in the United States would be stopped as long you remain in Canada, as Canadian bankruptcy proceedings for individuals will mainly protect your property in Canada. If you happen to move to the states in the future (and sometimes travel, although establishing property
in the states is less likely for temporary travel), you would need to file a bankruptcy in the US in order to protect the assets you may establish there.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)