Mother with mental ilness

August 12th, 2013 by Questions

My single mother had become mentally unstable as of last year. As time went on she became more and more irrational and stopped caring about her priorities. As it stands now, or general bills like phone, internet, car, etc have not been payed for months as well as her credit card debt which is in the 20k range. I am only a student and do not know how I can go about filling for bankruptcy on her behalf. I have been told getting power of attorney can be time consuming and pricey. My biggest concern is her debt will eventually get her sued and our possessions will be ceased. We live in a home that is payed for, but not in our name if that helps…

Posted from: Quebec


One Response to “Mother with mental ilness”

, A licensed trustee said:

Unfortunately, if you do not have Power of attorney over your mother’s affairs then you cannot file bankruptcy on her behalf. She will need to do so herself. If she no longer has the mental capacity to make such a decision then you can apply to the Courts – likely to be appointed her Guardian or to be granted Power of Attorney. Sorry, but there is no easy way to do what you think needs to be done…

Try a lawyer that specializes in mental illness.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)