Moved to the U.S.A.

May 25th, 2012 by Questions

I recently moved to the U.S.A. after marrying an American citizen, lost my Canadian job and now I am having trouble finding another one and can’t afford to pay my Canadian debts. Can I still declare Bankuptcy if I live in the US?

Posted from: British Columbia


One Response to “Moved to the U.S.A.”

, Barton Goth - Goth & Company Inc. -Trustee in Bankruptcy said:

Technically you can still file a canadian bankruptcy while living in the US, but only if you either:

a) own property in Canada; or

b) have resided in Canada within the last 12 months.

If you can satisfy either of those requirements, contact a trustee in the city you used to live and they will discuss the details with you.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)