child support

May 14th, 2012 by Questions

If I am seperated from my spouse and paying an agreed upon amout of child support, how is that amount calculated or adjusted if I declare bankrupcy? In other words, is there a set amount of child support that is exempt per child? Is school tution included or eligable as an additional exemption?

Posted from: Alberta


One Response to “child support”

, Barton Goth - Goth & Company Inc. -Trustee in Bankruptcy said:

There really isn’t any adjustment to your child support due to the filing of a bankruptcy. But you subtract the amount of that support out of your income before the cost of bankruptcy is calculated. But this adjustment only pertains to the child support, school tuition or even equalization payments typically don’t have any impact on the cost of a bankruptcy.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)