My mother lives with me.

February 22nd, 2012 by Questions

My mother lives with me. The condo is in my name and I really don’t care to keep it. She contributes to the household expenses. Would this be considered income when I declare bankruptcy?

Posted from: Ontario


One Response to “My mother lives with me.”

, A licensed trustee said:

We’re asked variations of this question all the time – when is someone considered part of your household (and therefore their income is included in your total household income)?

It comes down to your living arrangements. If your mother has an in-law suite and you don’t really live togther then her income would not be included. If she eats meals with you, helps with the household chores and/or is dependent on you financially then her income then it will be.

Make sure you discuss this with your trustee BEFORE you decide to file as it may make a big difference in the cost of filing.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)