August 25th, 2011 by Questions

Can my daughter file bankruptcy for me as my Power of Attorney if I am overseas. I am a senior with minimal earnings. Can she attend required meetings on my behalf if I am being cared for by a family member in another country.

Posted from: British Columbia


One Response to “Miss”

, Barton Goth - Goth & Company Inc. -Trustee in Bankruptcy said:

Well the first question is do you qualify to file. To do so you have to resided within Canada within the last 12 months, or you have to own property in Canada.

Now the next question, can your daughter attend all the meetings for you, this is likely not necessary. If you qualify to file the trustee can arrange to have all meetings with you via telephone, can send you copies of all necessary documents and as long as you sign those documents in front of a commissioner for oaths or a notary (or the equivalent in the country that you are in) there is no need for your daughter to be involved.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)