Motor Vehicle Accident Fund

May 25th, 2011 by Questions

If have a judgement against me through the Alberta Motor Vehicle Accident Fund and I am required to pay the amount of $164,000.00 could I file for bankruptcy and have this go away? I am a young man just starting out and I can’t see how I will ever be able to pay this.

Posted from: Alberta


One Response to “Motor Vehicle Accident Fund”

, Barton Goth - Goth & Company Inc. -Trustee in Bankruptcy said:

This is a bit of a strange situation because technically you can clear yourself of this debt by filing a bankruptcy. The problem is that Alberta Motor Vehicles will still refuse to give you a license, and there is case law that suggestst this is appropriate. So unless you are making an effort to pay this outstanding amount down. Therefore, if you plan on driving in the future, then a bankruptcy doesn’t really assist any any way.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)