Failed to submit income forms

March 22nd, 2011 by Questions

Hi I have filed my Bankruptcy here in Alberta, I got laid off before and had no job for 6 months, then I approached my Trustee because someone told me that I should have filed bankruptcy sooner. This was my first time and do not have a clue what to do, all I found out was that the trustee told me to sign a paper for their fees which was 3200 dollars, now I feel that my current trustee is not really doing a good job. Since I moved to BC, i have lost my forms and never submitted my income but they were still deducting the monthly fee and once I have told them that I was back working, they increased the amount. I need some advise how to go about this, I need to know what is the consequence for me not submitting the forms, I am now going back to Edmonton because I lost my job in BC.

Another thing, I was asking my trustee to schedule my second counselling, due to I am no longer living in AB. They said I can do something and they will arrange it. Now I have asked for them to scheduled it, they told me I have to be the one to call and look if they have a branch in BC, it feels like they are not really professionals since I initially paid them upfront 3200. Please advice me, I really need help.


Posted from: Alberta


One Response to “Failed to submit income forms”

, Barton Goth - Goth & Company Inc. -Trustee in Bankruptcy said:

While I cannot comment on what your trustee has or hasn’t done, it sounds like you don’t fully understand all the duties associated with bankruptcy.

The one you mentioned that I am concerned about is your income and expense statements. You are required to keep receipts for each month you are in bankruptcy, summarize them on a statemetn your trustee would have provided and do this each month you are in bankruptcy. If you don’t do this you won’t be discharged, so you will have to contact your trustee and make arrangements to complete these.

As for the counselling session, if you are in BC it is your responsiblity to find a place to attend them. However, now that you are moving back to Edmonton you can simply contact your original trustee and attend them at their office.

In terms of your fluctuating payment, that is normal. There is a guideline that each trustee must follow that determines the monthly payment, so when you income is higher (i.e. you are working), your payment will be higher.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)