May 10th, 2010 by Questions

I declared bankruptcy 2 years ago. At the time I was laid off and was told I had to pay $390. per month fees. I informed them that I couldn`t afford that. Since then our company has left the city and my unemployment has run out. I was to go to the bankruptcy court in Toronto but couldn`t as I could not afford it. They told me that they are going to close their side of the bankruptcy and that I had better do something as the creditors would come after me again. What are my options and they mentioned something about claiming independent bankruptcy. How do I do this and what does it cost? Thanks

Posted from: Ontario


One Response to “mesto”

, A licensed trustee said:

I am sorry, but there is no such thing as an independent bankruptcy in Canada. As you failed to appear at your discharge hearing, the only way for you to be discharged now is to schedule a new hearing so you can explain (1) why you didn’t show the first time, and (2) why you think you should be discharged from bankruptcy now. If you haven’t paid whatever amounts you were supposed to pay then the Court will most likely tell you that they will deal with your discharge when your trustee tells them that you have made all of the required payments.

Sorry, but if you want relief from your debts then you need to follow all of the rules and make the payments that you were/are required to make.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)