owed child support

July 2nd, 2009 by Questions

I have filed Bankrupt last month…I have an ex that has never paid support in 11 yrs and FRO is involved…they finally found him and took $ from a source and deposited into my account….now after all these yrs of not recieving money for my son I have to hand it over to the trustee correct? or am I able to keep it and finally give my son what he deserves? He wants a shopping spree….all name brand!!!

Posted from: Ontario


One Response to “owed child support”

, A licensed trustee said:

You need to report the money (and any subsequent payments) to your trustee. Most trustees will treat it as income that is subject to the surplus income rules – that means you’ll be able to keep a portion of the money.

If you don’t tell your trustee about the money yourself and they find out about it will cause some major problems in your bankruptcy, they very least of which is that you may have to apear in Court to explain why your bankruptcy should be allowed to continue.

Call your trustee.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)