House foreclosure

February 23rd, 2009 by Questions

The only debt my spouse and I have together is our house. He left the country over a year ago and I am having difficulty keeping up with the mortgage payments. The only way I can contact him is via email. I have no idea where he is living and he refuses to give me power of attorney for sale of the house. I may have no alternative but to walk away from the house. Should I also file for bankruptcy?

Posted from: Ontario


One Response to “House foreclosure”

, Barton Goth - Goth & Company Inc. -Trustee in Bankruptcy said:

Whether or not a bankruptcy is going to necessary will depend on the following:

a) the value of your house;
b) the amount of the mortgage;
c) the other debts you have; and
d) your monthly cash flow.

I would recommend you contact a local trustee with the above details and they would be in a better position to advise you as to the proper course of action.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)