Free Consultation

child tax benefit

I have received a notice from child tax benefit, gst as well as the universal child care supplement saying that they overpaid me by over $4000 (combined). I am in the process of considering bankruptcy due to a horrible marriage that left me with nothing but a pile of debts in my name. If I do declare bankruptcy will those debts with ctb, gst and uccb be eliminated or will I still have to pay them?

Posted from: Quebec

One Response to “child tax benefit”

A licensed trustee said...

Probably not – if you were overpaid because you somehow misrepresented your financial situation then the debts will survive bankruptcy. If however the government made a mistake in paying you then they will be.

You should talk to a local trustee so that they can hear all of the details about your situation and what has happened.