Residential School money settlement

April 29th, 2008 by Questions

I will be getting Residential School money settlement, and I recently filed bankruptcy. Can they take my settlement?


One Response to “Residential School money settlement”

, Barton Goth GCO Bankruptcy Trustees said:

This really depends on the nature of the settlment.
Therefore, it will be necessary to determine what portion of the settlement payments relate to pain and suffering, as this portion will be exempt and therefore not seized by the trustee.

Furthermore, if the funds are exempt the Superintendent has put together a Position Paper in May 2006 that states that any monies received in this type of settlement that do relate to pain and suffering and therefore should not be considered when calculating surplus.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)