social assistance overpayment

December 3rd, 2007 by Questions

My disability social assistance payments are being reduced to recover a past overpayment. Can this `recovery` continue once I submit for bankruptcy. Should the money collected after i filed be returned to me? or the trustee?


One Response to “social assistance overpayment”

, A licensed trustee said:

Whether or not the repayment will continue will depend on the nature of the overpayment. If a simple error occurred then the repayment should stop – althought they might try and start it up again once your bankruptcy is done. If you falsified information or misrepresented your situation then the repayments may continue – it depends on the facts of your case.

Regardless, if they dtermine the payments should have stopped when you filed and money that was taken since filing will be sent to your trustee to deal with. I suggest you contact them to discuss your situation.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)