September 3rd, 2007 by Questions

My ex-partner has just claimed bankruptcy and is unsure how he is going to pay his child support of $300 monthly (paid bi-weekly) he has been giving me approximately $140 every pay day since our separation last May2006, for the most part he has been on time but he is now behind one payment. We have joint custody but I have primary care. I am scared that I am not going to receive any monies and therefore putting my own credit at risk. What should I be doing?


One Response to “ScaredinNorthernOntario”

, Barton Goth GCO Bankruptcy Trustees said:

Unfortunately this is largely beyond your control. Now you don’t have to worry that his payment obligations to you stop as a result of the bankruptcy, your rights are preserved, but just as is normal you are largely at his mercy.

Now each province does have some mechanisms in place to deal with those who do not pay their child support mechanism, but I am the wrong person to ask about the specifics of these.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)