Deadbeat dad claiming bankruptcy on arrears

April 7th, 2007 by Questions

I have this loser ex that is thousands of dollars in arrears for child support, I received a notice in the mail stating that he has filed for bankruptcy and is claiming all the money he has in arrears as part of it. Can he do that?


One Response to “Deadbeat dad claiming bankruptcy on arrears”

, Barton Goth GCO Bankruptcy Trustees said:

When someone files a bankruptcy, the child support arrears must be listed on the documents, but they are a debt that is not cleared by a bankruptcy. So there shouldn’t be much change from your sitting, although there is a priority charge on all the funds in the bankruptcy estate for any child support contributions that relate to the 12 months immediately prior to the filing of bankruptcy so you may want to contact the trustee prior to filing out the proof of claim that you have been sent.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)