Free Consultation

injury settlement received after filing bankruptcy

I received a cheque from WSIB for a permanent injury to my back that is work related. I was totally unaware that this cheque was coming. Is this cheque to be turned over to the trustee of my bankruptcy or am I able to keep it. The injury claim is not closed and is to be evaluated in one years time. Should I return the cheque and ask for a review of my injury in one years time and accept the cheque then. I don’t want to be dishonest but my wife and her lover did a midnight move and have left me with no possessions and a mountain of debt. The cheque for the back injury would certainly help me get back on my feet.

One Response to “injury settlement received after filing bankruptcy”

Barton Goth, GCO Inc. Bankruptcy Trustees said...

This really depends on the specifics of the settlement itself. For example, if the funds are from pain or suffering then they are yours to keep, but if they are due to something else (i.e. loss of wages) then these are monies that must be distributed to your creditors. You are best to bring in all documents relating to this and discuss them with your trustee.