Long Debt situation

September 13th, 2012 by Questions

Hi currently my situation is my father’s business went down and owe the bank a lot of money. He has left the country however I have remained in the country. I live with my girlfriend in her place. We receive court letters addressed to my father and his company summoning to court however have ignored this issue for many years now. The debt occurred in 2003 and have frequently received the summon letters.

Just the other day we have received letter addressing to my girlfriend as well as her sister that does not live in our household. I’ve opened the letter and it states that the superior court is serving my girlfriend. They demand her to appear in court to be examined.

What should we do? Would this affect my girlfriend’s credit? What is the best course of action?

My father is out of the country and will not return.

Posted from: Ontario


One Response to “Long Debt situation”

, Barton Goth - Goth & Company Inc. -Trustee in Bankruptcy said:

There is far to much we don’t know to even be able to develop an answer. At this point there isn’t much you can do about your father and his exposure, but I would strongly advise your girlfriend and her sister to contact an insolvency lawyer right away. If all they want is an examination it may be harmless, but if they are looking for more it is important that they be protected right away.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)