April 19th, 2011 by Questions

My husband recently disclosed to me that he has credit card debt of more than $80,000! He has arranged to pay one with some money down, and $500 a month, and has offered the same to the other, but it was turned over to a lawyer and they have not responded to any of his offers or calls. He is sick at heart and recovering from cancer (which partly led to the buying spree). How can we get a response? Is the home, which is in both our names, although I pay the mortgage, in jeopardy?

Posted from: Ontario


One Response to “McGinty”

, Barton Goth - Goth & Company Inc. -Trustee in Bankruptcy said:

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to force a response. The creditor doesn’t not need to respond, just like the creditor does not need to accept the proposed payment arrangements. The best way to force the creditor reccognize a settlement offer is through the filing of a consumer proposal. This is a legislated mechanism to negotiate a settlement with your creditors to make payments over time and because it is done through the courts they can’t ignore it.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)