revenue canada

November 20th, 2010 by Questions

We owe Revenue Canada and are having trouble paying them back…are we able to negotiate a debt settlement with them?

Posted from: Ontario


One Response to “revenue canada”

, A licensed trustee said:

Yes and no. CRA will negotiate a 1 (or possibly 2 year) repayment for income taxes, but that’s about all they are authorized to do. You may also hire either a tax accountant and/or a tax lawyer to negotiate on your behalf. They can get you longer to repay and likely have the interest and penalties reduced. You may also file a consumer proposal or personal bankruptcy to deal with yoru tax debt, but it will also impact all of your other debt (and credit) too.

You might start by requesting a meeting with your CRA collector – they should outline all of the options I just listed and usually they will give you a frank assessment of which one makes the most sense for you.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)