My debt in the states is in collections

December 17th, 2014 by Questions

I have an outstanding credit card debt in the U.S. I am a Canadian Citizen who is already in a consumer proposal. I tried to settle with the creditor but was given the run around, now the debt is in collections in the states. Are they able to get a judgement against me in Canada?

Posted from: British Columbia


One Response to “My debt in the states is in collections”

, Jillian Taylor-Mancusi, Trustee | B.A. | C.I.R.P said:

At the time that you filed the consumer proposal you were required to file a sworn Statement of Affairs. In this document you were to list all of your creditors. If your US credit card was not listed you should inform your Trustee immediately. The Trustee will notify them of the proposal and the Stay of Proceedings. Unless the amount of the debt makes a material difference in the proposal the Stay of Proceedings will prevent them from taking action in Canada. You should contact your Trustee in order to discuss the matter in further detail.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)