Consumer Proposal

December 12th, 2011 by Questions

Do I need to hire a Trustee to file for Consumer Proposal? Can I file for consumer proposal by myself without having a trustee in the middle.? Please advise

Posted from: Alberta


One Response to “Consumer Proposal”

, A licensed trustee said:

You cannot file a consumer proposal by yourself – you must use a licenced trustee in bankruptcy to do so.

One of the underlying premises of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act is that you assign (sign over) your assets to a trustee to administer on behalf of your unsecured creditors. Since you can’t sign something over to yourself the law requires you to use a trustee.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)