Cant retire

November 4th, 2011 by Questions

I am 71 collecting ccp and old age pensions but still have to work to pay minium payments on credit card payments of 40,000 , is a consumer proposal best thing to do?

Posted from: British Columbia


One Response to “Cant retire”

, Barton Goth - Goth & Company Inc. -Trustee in Bankruptcy said:

A consumer proposal is one way to deal with this, but I would likely recommend you look at the filing of a bankruptcy. The reason for this is your age. Let me explain, at 71 I find that credit or the importance of having good credit isn’t usually a priority and protecting a portion of your long term credit is the main advantage of filing a proposal. Now this doesn’t mean that a consumer proposal wouldn’t work, but it may be longer and more costly than you need at your stage in life. Either way I would recommend that you sit down and discuss this with a local trustee and they will help you determine what route you feel most comfortable with help to alleviate some of this $40,000 burden you are struggling with.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)