If you jointly own a home, and only 1 person is contemplating a proposal, can outstanding property taxes be included in the proposal

Posted from: Ontario

One Response to “Debbie”

A licensed trustee said...

Actually, if you intende to keep the house then property taxes cannot be included in a consumer proposal (or a bankruptcy). Provincial law treats property tax arrears like a mortgage – if you allow them to fall three years into arrears the municipality has the right to seize and sell the property.

That being said, the city that you live in doesn’t want to take your house – they simply want to be paid. If you tell them you are entering into a propsoal to repay a portion of your unsecured debts and that you’d like to enter into a payment plan to catch up your arrears the city will likely agree to it – as long as you repay the arrears within a couple of years and you keep your new propoerty tax assessments current. If you can’t do that then you need to give serious consideration to selling the house. Sorry.