What happens in temporary separation?

August 2nd, 2009 by Questions

My partner and I are separating for a while.We own a home.I will be moving out for a while to work it out and he will stay and I but have a debt and was considering consumer proposal. If I do not live in the house(I am on EI) will I lose home?

Posted from: British Columbia


One Response to “What happens in temporary separation?”

, A licensed trustee said:

When you file a consumer proposal you are offering your creditors a (partial) repayment plan – in most cases, unlesss you specifically say you want to surrender you house to the mortgage company, houses are not involved. So whether or not you live in the house won’t make a difference either.

Just make sure you discuss thgese concersn with whatever trustee you are dealing with in order to file the consumer proposal.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)