Tax money and hst????

November 13th, 2012 by Questions

My question is I was discharged from bankruptcy in 2012 my trusty did my 2011 taxes and took the money she did not cash my hst/gst cheques and I did make all my payments. my question is she is now saying she is doing my 2012 taxes and she is keeping the money for my creditors and she is giving them my hst/gst I did not go over the amount alowable and I only have my student loan and I have been still paying it off can she keep my money even tho I have been discharged????

Posted from: British Columbia


One Response to “Tax money and hst????”

, A licensed trustee said:

It literally depends on what you signed when you filed for bankruptcy. Under the law, your trustee will automatically receive your tax refund for the year you file and all previous years. For example, if you filed Jan 1, 2012 then your trustee would receive your 2012, 2011 and any other year prior to that you may be entitled to a refund for in the future.

Some trustees ask you to sign-over your refunds for the period you remain bankrupt – we don’t because I think it is punative, but if you sign the form when your trustee puts it in front of you then they will keep receiving your refunds until whatever year you authorized on the form. Sorry, you need to discuss this with the trustee you used to file.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)