January 10th, 2010 by Questions

We filed Jan 16 2009, our tax return was returned to the trustee.
we were discharged oct 2009. We recieved a letter saying we need to give our T-4`s to the trustee again for them to file and keep the return. We were never told we needed to give up two years returns. Do we need to?

Posted from: Ontario


One Response to “Verkerke”

, A licensed trustee said:

Unfortunately, the goverment made changes to the bankruptcy laws such that any tax refunds during the year you file for bankurptcy and all prior years will be paid directly to your trustee for the benefit of your unsecured creditors. These changes were explained to the trustee community in March 2009 – 2 months after you filed for bankrputcy – but they were made effective as of July 8, 2008.

You don’t have to give your trustee the slips – you may file your taxes yourself, BUT any refunds you may be entitled to for 2009 will be mailed to your trustee regardless who files the return. Sorry.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)