Free Consultation

shortfall on mortgage

Can a judgement be obtained against me for a shortfall on a mortgage after I file for bankruptcy.

Posted from: Alberta

One Response to “shortfall on mortgage”

A licensed trustee said...

Assuming you surrendered the house to the mortgage company (or your trustee) as part of your bankruptcy, then any judgement obtained after you filed would not be enforceable against you. Clearing it should be a simple matter of forwarding copies of your bankruptcy documents, including proof that you’ve been discharged, to the creditor (or their lawyers) with a request to remove the writ. Alternatively, you could pay a lawyer to go to Court and have the judgment voided.