bankruptcy and tax refunds

April 1st, 2009 by Questions

I filed bankruptcy in January 2008. My return for 2007 (refund) went to my bankruptcy estate, as well – they filed a pre-bankruptcy return for Jan. 1 – 6, 2008.

They told me that I personally can file for my Jan. 7 – Dec. 31, 2008 return and keep any refunds if applicable.

My absolute discharge just went through in February 2009. My accountant is trying to e-file the remainder of my 2008 income tax file – and cannot.

Does this remainder of 2008 need to be paper filed?

Approx. how long does it usually take CRA to remove the Trustee from a person`s file – so that GST and any refunds, etc… come directly to me again?

Does the Trustee automatically file the discharge with CRA and the other creditors listed on the bankruptcy?

Posted from: Saskatchewan


One Response to “bankruptcy and tax refunds”

, A licensed trustee said:

The POST bankruptcy tax return must be filed on paper (you are not permitted to e-file it). In my experience if you file by April 30 you should expect your refund in August or September…

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)