transferring property with a judgement

March 9th, 2009 by Questions

My husband and i are separating. I will be cleared of bankrupty April 09 – he did not file even though we had shared debts. One of which is a judgement from a credit union for 17,000. He wants to transfer title of our house to me so that i can seek private financing for a consolidation of 2 mortgages, can he do that if there is a judgement against him ??

Posted from: Prince Edward Island


One Response to “transferring property with a judgement”

, A licensed trustee said:

You’ll need to speak to a local lawyer – I don’t hink he can simply transfer his interest to you (except perhaps as part of a separation agreemetn or divorce). He likely has to sell it ot you for its fair value and the funds you pay him will be seized by the judgment creditor…

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)