Post Bankruptcy Income Tax Question

December 12th, 2008 by Questions

Discharged from bankruptcy end of February 2008. Thinking of investing money in RRSPs for the 2008 year. Is it ok to do so? If that generates a tax refund when my taxes are filed, will it go to my creditors or will it be mine?
Thank you

Posted from: Ontario


One Response to “Post Bankruptcy Income Tax Question”

, Barton Goth - Goth & Company Inc. -Trustee in Bankruptcy said:

Where your tax refund goes depends on what year you filed for bankruptcy, when you are discharged makes no difference. So if you filed for bankruptcy in 2008 you would loose your 2008 tax refund. Now from the sounds of things you filed for bankruptcy in 2007 or earlier so you should receive any monies from a tax refund.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)