Free Consultation


I filed bankruptcy about 10 years ago, I never paid it off but fufilled all other duties. When I filed I had just been released from the psych ward five days prior and was heavily medicated. I only met with my trustee once from what I can recall, don`t ever remember bringing in any sort of bills or anything. I have called and been told they discharged from me. I am only dealing with this now as I have just recently gotten my life together. Do I have any options as I feel at the time I did not make an informed decision or was properly informed as to what I was doing.

Posted from: Alberta

One Response to “wondering”

A licensed trustee said...

You have a couple of options:

1) pay off all of the debts in full (plus interest) and then apply to the Court to have your bankruptcy annulled (cancelled);

2) file a proposal to your creditors – if they accept it your bankruptcy will be annulled; or

3) contact the trustee that assisted you 10 years ago to dtermine what you need to do now in order to complete your procedure.

I think you should start with option 3 as your trustee will likely explain options 1 and 2 in greater detail when you see them.

For the other folks that read these blogs, please keep this person’s story in mind. If you file for bankruptcy please take the time to complete the procedure properly – here it is 10 years later and this person now has to jump through some extra hoops in order to clean things up… I guarantee you that it will cost them significantly more money now to deal with this.