Income tax return

February 18th, 2008 by Questions

I claimed bankruptcy in February 2006. I was discharged in January 2007. In April 2007, an accountant did my 2006 taxes. I owed $2700, which I have paid. In May 2007, my trustee contacted me to advise that they should have done my 2006 taxes (pre and post bankruptcy for that year). I submitted all the necessary paperwork to the trustee. A reassessment was done by CRA and I have now received a $3100 refund. CRA says the money is mine because I have been discharged. Does the trustee have any rights to this money?
Thank you.


One Response to “Income tax return”

, Barton Goth GCO Bankruptcy Trustees said:

This partially depends on whether or not you signed this refund over to your trustee (and not whether you have been discharged or not). Likely you have signed this over as this is standard practice and therefore the funds need to be paid to your trustee. Failure to do so will result in the trustee having to go to court to overturn your discharge.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)