Free Consultation

Is money from a boarder considered income?

I recently filed for bankruptcy in Alberta. I want to take in a student as a boarder in my home. He will pay for food and utilities and a small fee for the room. Is money from a resident considered income and do I need to include this in my monthly reports? Will this affect my surplus income payment?

One Response to “Is money from a boarder considered income?”

Desmond West-Chow, CIRP, Trustee said...

Any money that you receive is generally regarded as income and as such, must be reported. However, because there may be an offset for some of your expenses in order to generate this income, it would be a good idea to contact your trustee and discuss this change with them and how it should be reflected.