Free Consultation

Student Loans – How I inquire about them without getting them after me again?

I received osap for college in 1994(?) and did not graduate in 96 as I gave birth. Since then I haven’t paid anything. I am currently on ODSP for Crohn’s disease and am a volunteer community advocate. I’m wondering if these loans ever ‘go away’; how I inquire about them without getting them after me again; and if I have any options to return to school.

Posted from: Ontario

One Response to “Student Loans – How I inquire about them without getting them after me again?”

Jillian Taylor-Mancusi, Trustee | B.A. | C.I.R.P said...

In 1994 when you originally received the student loan it was generally the practice to apply to the Canada Student Loan Program and depending upon the province of residence a portion of the loan was covered by the provincial student assistance program. This portion depending upon the province sometimes took the form of a bursary in whole or in part. The fact that you only have an Ontario Student Assistance Program loan suggests that you may have been in a particular program because of your circumstances. Generally student loans are not subject to limitations. In that they have not made any collection practices in 20 years it could be reasonably assumed that they are not pursuing you. In that you are currently receiving income from a government assistance program it is likely that you are judgment proof, that is you have no assets or income should they try to pursue you with judicial options.

If you wish to return to school, it is unlikely that you will receive an Ontario student loan while you are on the disability program. You may wish to inquire directly with Ontario Student Loans. This does not prevent you from going back to school but you may have to save up from your own resources to do so.