Switching a Bankruptcy to a Consumer Proposal

August 19th, 2011 by Questions

I recieved enough money to pay off my debt from my inheritance. My trustee says nothing can be done untill my bankruptcy is over in November. They are holding the money untill November is it true that a consumer proposal can still be used if I am in bankruptcy. If so can I force my trustee to call a meeting of my creditors to tell them we have the money.

Posted from: New Brunswick


One Response to “Switching a Bankruptcy to a Consumer Proposal”

, A licensed trustee said:

Certaionly it may be done – I have done so myself for clients at least a dozen times…

You’ve got a couple of options:
1) if the debts are repaid in full you may simply apply to the Court to have the bankruptcy annulled (removed from your record)

2) you may file a consumer proposal and if it is accepted the bankruptcy will also be annulled. You don’t have to use the same trustee for the proposal if for some reason the people you are working with won’ty help you with either option 1 or 2.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)