Rent and Bankruptcy

August 3rd, 2010 by Questions

Can I claim past money owed to my landlord even if i am still living in the same unit and he has already taken me to the tribunal but no agreement has been made yet I owe him about 4000$

Posted from: Ontario


One Response to “Rent and Bankruptcy”

, A licensed trustee said:

Well, if you try to include overdue rent for the place you are living you won’t be living there very long… Your landlord will most certainly apply to have you evicted – you can’t simply live rent free.

So, if you can’t pay the renbt arrears then you should be looking to move. Once you have moved speak to a trustee and the arrears from your current place can be included in a bankruptcy, if that’s what makes the most sense.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)