Free Consultation



Can i choose someone as my representative in Canada to file for bankruptcy while I am living in the states. In this way, he/she can attend the meetings with the trustee and there shouldn`t be a problem. Is there anything wrong with that legally?

Posted from: Ontario

One Response to “Representative”

Barton Goth – Goth & Company Inc. -Trustee in Bankruptcy said...

This question may be a bit premature. The first question you need to ask is are you even eligible to file a bankruptcy. To do so you need to either have resided in Canada in the last 12 months or currently own property here. If you can satisfy either of these criteria then you are eligible. Now is there a need to have a representative here to handle your affairs, no. It is best you take care of that, most meetings and things you can arrange to attend by phone, but a representative would not be necessary.