family size

I have two childen who live with my ex. We have joint custody and she has primary residence with the children. I pay child support in the amount of $1100 a month. I get the children every second weekend, and one day a week. During this time, I am responsible for their meals, accomodations, etc… Am I considered a family of one, since I do not have full custody?

Posted from: New Brunswick

One Response to “family size”

A licensed trustee said...

Sorry, but if you are paying support then you cannot claim the children as dependents. The support is deductible from your income before your surplus obligation is determined therefore you cannot also claim the children as dependents.