Filing bankruptcy out of the country

January 24th, 2008 by Questions

I moved to New Zealand a few years back and have since incurred huge credit card debts while waiting for my working visa. I`m currently not working and finding it impossible to make any payments over and above my living expenses. How do I go about filing bankruptcy from Australia? I am currently over $40,000 in debt. I presently don`t see any other option.


One Response to “Filing bankruptcy out of the country”

, Barton Goth GCO Bankruptcy Trustees said:

Normally it isn’t possible without returning to Canada unless you have resided in Canada in the last year. However, you can contact a trustee in the city you last resided and see if they will be willing to request special permission from the Superintendent of Bankruptcy.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)