Free Consultation


my wife has her engagement ring and wedding band as well as a necklace all from before we got married. will we get to keep these things? We live in Ontario

One Response to “jewelry”

A licensed trustee said...

Your wife has the right to claim an exemption for personal items (including jewelry) up to a value of $5,650. If the items in question are worth than that then you will either have to agree to pay an amoutn equal to the excess (over $5650) or voluntarily give something up for sale.

Before you get too worked up about this, I suggest you contact a trustee in your area and discuss your situation – it may be that something other than bankruptcy will make more sense for you…