collection agency

I have permitted my son who lives in his own apartment across from our family home to use our phone number. He does not have a personal phone in his place. He has been having financial difficulties and several of his accounts has been sent to collections . He has lost his job due to lay offs and is finding it hard. The collection agencies will not stop phoning our number to speak to him. My husband and I are not involved in his debt and have repeatedly told the collections people that he can no longer be reached at this number . This is our phone and not his. The collection agencies have told us they will continue to call us a 100 times a day if they wish because our son used our number . What should we do? My husband thinks that we should press criminal charges against them . We do not want to incur legal expenses for attorneys etc.

One Response to “collection agency”

Barton Goth, GCO Inc. Bankruptcy Trustees said...

There is provincial legislation in place that limits what collection agents are entitled to do. If you son does not live with you and they have another way to contact your son then the creditors typically are not able to continue to harass you. If you wish to complain about a collection agency may contact their provincial or territorial office of consumer affairs.

British Columbia
Director of Debt Collection at 1-250-356-6035 or by fax at 1-250-953-3533.
Director of Debt Collection
PO Box 9297, Station Prov. Govt
(Wharf and Fort)
Victoria BC, V8W 9J8

Alberta Government Services
Consumer Services Branch
13th Floor, Commerce Place
10155&-102 Street
Edmonton AB T5J 4L4
Tel: (780) 427-4088
Toll Free (in Alberta): 1-877-427-4088
Fax: (780) 422-9106
Web site:

Consumer Protection Branch
Department of Justice
1871 Smith Street
Regina SK S4P 3V7
Tel: (306) 787-5550
Toll Free (in Saskatchewan): 1-888-374-4636
Fax: (306) 787-9779
Web site:

Consumers Bureau
Manitoba Finance
302-258 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg MB R3C 0B6
Tel: (204) 945-3800
Toll Free: 1-800-782-0067 (in Manitoba)
Fax: (204) 945-0728
Web site:

Government Services
Consumer Services Bureau
33nd Floor, 250 Yonge Street
Toronto ON M5B 2N5
Tel: (416) 326-8800
Toll Free: 1-800-889-9768
Web site:

Office de la protection du consommateur
Room 450, 400 Jean-Lesage Boulevard
Quebec QC G1K 8W4
Tel: 1-888-672-2556
Fax: 418-528-0976
Web site:

New Brunswick
Justice Services Division
Office of the Rentalsman and Consumer Affairs Branch
Centennial Building
PO Box 6000
Fredericton NB E3B 5H1
Tel: (506) 452-2583
Fax: (506) 453-3651
Web site:

Prince Edward Island
Consumer, Corporate and Insurance Division
Fourth Floor, Shaw Building
95 Rochford Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown PEI C1A 7N8
Tel: (902) 368-4550
Fax: (902) 368-5283

Nova Scotia
Mail Room, 8 South
Maritime Centre
1505 Barrington Street
Halifax, NS
B3J 3K5
Tel: (902) 424-5200
Toll Free: 1-800-670-4357 (in Nova Scotia)
Fax: (902) 424-0720
Web site:

Newfoundland and Labrador
Consumer and Commercial Affairs Branch
Department of Government Services and Lands
2nd Floor, Confederation Building West Block
PO Box 8700
St. John’s NF A1B 4J6
Tel: (709) 729-2570
Fax: (709) 729-4151
Web site:

Department of Community Services
PO Box 2703
Whitehorse YK Y1A 2C6
Tel: (867) 667-5111
Toll Free: 1-800-661-0408
Fax: (867) 667-3609
Web site:

Northwest Territories
P.O. Box 1320
Yellowknife NWT X1A 2L9
Tel: (867) 669-2377
Fax: (867) 873-0169
Web site:

Community Government and Transportation
Box 1000, Station 204
Igaluit, NU X0A 0H0
Tel: (867) 975-5300
Fax: (867) 975-5305