Free Consultation

preferred creditor

If my husband owes me a considerable amount of spousal and child support and he comes into money, do I as a preferred creditor get paid first?

Posted from: Ontario

One Response to “preferred creditor”

A licensed trustee said...

You are a preferred creditor for support arrears that accrued in the 12 months immediately prior to the date your ex filed for bankruptcy – that is, assuming you submitted a proof of claim to their trustee. I suggest you call his trustee to confirm they have your claim, that you are entitled to a preferred claim, and that the trustee is aware of the money your ex may be coming into.