Free Consultation

EI Debt

CRA collections is trying to recover $50,000+ for debt owing from EI overpayment. I am not able to pay this amount and wondering what my options are for resolving this matter?

Posted from: Ontario

One Response to “EI Debt”

A licensed trustee said...

When people usually ask about EI they owe a fe hundred, or even a couple of thousand dollars. Given the size of your debt I suggest you contact a lawyer and then, depending on what the lawyer tells you, a trustee.

If CRA claims your EI overpayment is the result of misrepresentation or fraud then filing for bankruptcy won’t help – that’s why you need to speak a lawyer first. If the lawyer tells you the debt wasn’t caused by misrepresentation or fraud then you can speka to a trustee about your options.