income tax

June 8th, 2012 by Questions

is there a way i can get the goverment from taking a lower amount from my pay check for money owed i cant afford it

Posted from: Ontario


One Response to “income tax”

, Barton Goth - Goth & Company Inc. -Trustee in Bankruptcy said:

If you are referring to a garnishee that you as subject to, then yes, there are a few things that can be considered.

First, you can try to contact CRA directly and negotiate payment arrangements or a potential reduction of the monthly amount taken. Now I wouldn’t expect them to be to sympathetic, but technically you can try.

Second, you could consider borrowing the money to pay the government back. This could be from a bank, family friends etc..

If neither of those work you can contact a local trustee and they will be able to assist you with the filing of either a consumer proposal or a bankruptcy. Both of these have an automatic stay of proceedings that will put an immediate stop to the garnishment you are subject to.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)