Free Consultation

Filing tax returns

I filed a consumer proposal in August of 2008. As part of the proposal I did a provisional return for 2008 up until Aug. I did not get an assessment for this and when I contacted CRA they said I had to do a full 2008 return. My trustee said that a reconciliation will be necessary for the provisional period. My question: is there anywhere on my tax return where I can enter information about the proposal that was filed? How do I determine how much I actually owe between the full return and provisional? The CRA did accept my proposal which included the provisional amount. Thanks.

Posted from: Ontario

One Response to “Filing tax returns”

Barton Goth – Goth & Company Inc. -Trustee in Bankruptcy said...

What you need to do is file a full year return as normal for 2008. The provisional return does not get assessed, but is used for voting purposes. So what should happen then is that CRA should automatically deduct any amount on your provisional from the amount you owe on your full year return. There is no where to enter this on your tax return, you just have to watch your assessment closely to make sure it happens correctly.